Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Get Your Denver Election Ballots in!

I know... I know... it's 7 days before voting day, why wait so long to call for citizens to get their votes in?

I guess it was the realization that despite being incredibly involved now in our neighborhood associations, issues, and politics, I'm sitting here today, just finally getting my own ballot in. With that in mind, I'm betting there are many more people that care about Cole (and District 8, and the City of Denver in general) that likely still have their ballots sitting on the kitchen table.

I do wish more of our neighbors in Cole took a more active role in shaping what the neighborhood will become--We all have strong opinions about what is great or not-so-great about Cole, and what changes we'd like to see in the future--But unfortunately, too many times we don't get involved to actually effect that change. And what better way to start than by voting in Denver's upcoming city election? Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic the election even shows up on the radar of most residents.

Now don't get me wrong--I understand the discouraging reality of voting in America--Namely the reality that a greater majority of the population turned out to vote in Iraq's 2005 elections (70%!) than ever do for an election in America--But I'm talking about the people that seem like they have it "together", for lack of a better term, but don't vote. I must admit, up until the 2004 presidential election, I was one of those people--At which point my father used to say "You're not allowed to have an opinion on politics, unless you register and vote." Smart guy, my dad.

Like a few of our neighbors--They're younger, educated, affluent people, with good jobs, new homes in Cole, and never a shortage of opinions on how our neighborhood could be improved. One couple is never short on complaints--Whether it be the crime problem, the trash problem, the condition of their neighbor's home, etc.--Yet despite numerous efforts to get them involved in the neighborhood, it has been somewhat like keeping a candle lit in a gusty windstorm. In all reality, it's likely just that they're busy, as we all are--But I'm impatient about change in Cole--and understand that doesn't happen without a group of involved and committed individuals, which the neighborhood is still seeking.

For example, we've had neighborhood meetings as large as 45 people, but inevitably, the next one shrinks back down to the same 4 or 5 involved residents. How do we expect things to change in Cole without being willing to become fundamentally involved in the process?

Well, sorry for the tangent. I hope most residents in fact will turn in their ballots, and just as importantly have done their due diligence on the candidates and their positions on key issues. But for residents still on the fence, I'm not averse to pointing out some reasons why I've picked the candidates I have.

So, without further ado, for those residents that couldn't make the last Cole Neighborhood Association meeting (where several of the District 8 City Council candidates spoke) because Survivor was on; or for those residents that legitimately have just been too busy to familiarize themselves with the District 8 candidates and issues, for what it's worth, here are Coleneighborhood.net's election picks for District 8 for the upcoming Denver city election:


Why? Because despite my concerns that he's largely ignored issues specific to Denver's urban neighborhoods in his first tenure, there really isn't any other real candidate running. Thanks for stepping up for what you believe in, Mr. Lopez, but I don't think you stand a chance, nor have the necessary or relevant experience to be mayor of a large city like Denver. But again, I certainly applaud you for stepping up, and I wish you the best of luck in your future pursuits--Hopefully that will include starting with some other elected position and building a track record or base of experience--and who knows, then you could be my pick next time around.

Additionally, I have to give Hick some credit as the guy most associated with the revitalization of LoDo, and the architect behind bringing Broken Windows theory (Yes, I support Broken Windows) to Denver. So John, I'm voting for you buddy--Here's hoping you focus more on neighborhood-level issues in your second term.

  • Auditor and Clerk and Recorder: Dennis Gallagher and Stephanie O'Malley.

Why? Because the Denver Post endorses them, and for reasons that make sense to me. (Sorry I don't have more of an opinion on this). In particular, it sounds like Ms. O'Malley is likely to make some substantive changes to Denver's woefully inadequate voting processes, which I think everyone that waited in the unbelievable lines at last election would deem an honorable use of an elected official's time. Sorry, these two seats just aren't all that important to this voter (though they likely should be). If Mr. Gallagher can add and subtract, and Ms. O'Malley in reality does seek reform of Denver's voting processes, that's all I need to know.

Why? Doug Linkhart has voiced his dissatisfaction in both Mr. Hickenlooper's and outgoing Council member Elbra Wedgeworth's track record in tackling the many issues North Denver metro neighborhoods face. He also talks a good talk when it comes to crime. Additionally, he seems sincerely interested in "filling in" and redeveloping the blighted "horseshoe" that still rings the redeveloped downtown to the north (and to which Cole belongs). Finally, he shares my belief that the North Denver neighborhoods like Cole, Whittier, and Curtis Park at this point have enough homeless, drug and alcohol-related shelters--It's time for Highlands, and some of the other urban Denver 'hoods to do their part and host some of these important facilities.

Carol Campbell similarly seems ready to tackle head-on the crime and disorder issues that plague urban Denver. I applaud her for consistently not skirting the issues, or candy-coating her opinions, though I'm sure they open her up for some heated criticisms. For example, she's not been afraid to speak out about the dim-witted Denver tradition of spending police dollars every year to facilitate Cinco de Mayo cruising. Is she being racist in speaking out against Cinco de Mayo cruising, because she's white and the participants are Hispanic? No, she's not, because it's not about race. I don't care if they were Starbucks-drinking yuppies blasting Yanni in their 3-series BMW's, cruising is a bona fide problem, that adversely affects residents and businesses along the Federal corridor. I lived over there, and know first-hand how hard it is to even get out of your block to go to the Safeway for a gallon of milk on that day every year--Not to mention the residual beer and liquor bottles residents are left to clean up for weeks afterwards. And this is a problem that affects all residents over there--black, white, hispanic, rich and poor.

So, because Carol Campbell appears to be a straight-shooter that has lived "on the front lines" of urban Denver, and doesn't think the current disorder and crime situation should be tolerated, she'll get my vote.

Council Member District 8: Carla Madison.

What played into my decision? Well, for me, first and foremost I want a candidate that is available and responsive--In other words, the anti-Elbra.

Next, for this voter, crime and public safety top my list of issues, followed closely by the need to attract more and better businesses to Cole. Thus, my evaluations of the candidates were shaped by these key issues. You might have other hotbuttons, and as such, do your own reading on these candidates (you'll find links to many of their websites in this post and on the right side of the page) and make the pick that is right for you.

I really wanted to vote for a candidate of color for District 8, given the diversity of our district, but I haven't been able to get all that excited about any one candidate, except perhaps Ms. Madison. As such, on this one, I'm going to start with the other candidates before explaining where in my mind they fell short, before I share why I feel Carla is the best choice:

Lynn Smith has a lot of good things to say, particularly regarding redevelopment and zoning, but as a write-in candidate, I don't know that she has a real chance of winning, so I think voting for her would most likely just be taking away a vote that could potentially keep Sharon Bailey out of office (more on that later).

I initially was leaning towards voting for Darrell Watson, because even as a person of color, he has done enough homework to embrace Broken Windows. I am impressed with his work on the Biased Policing Task Force, where he opened dialog between residents and police to solve distrust and profiling concerns, rather than just throwing stones--as in my opinion the CPC is currently doing in response to the Cole-Whittier Against Crime initiative. His resume is similarly strengthened because of his leadership of the Whittier neighborhood association, which from the outside appears to be a very organized, effective organization. I also appreciate his interest in smart redevelopment through support of local businesses. The fact that he is a cyclist doesn't hurt, either. Finally, again given the diversity of our district, I think that it would be wonderful to have an African-American, openly gay city council member.

However, every time I've heard him speak, he makes some big promises that he's going to have a lot of trouble keeping (like saying if elected, he'll get the decision to use streetcars instead of light rail to connect the Downtown transit system to the new 40th/40th station overturned--Not try, he'll "get it done"). Also, his speeches are so rehearsed that to me he seems insincere, which leaves me uncomfortable about what he'd be like if elected. I don't vote for scripted, rehearsed politicians, I vote for real people that I can relate to, and I can't say for me that is Darrell Watson.

But the final straw was when I started receiving unsolicited campaign emails from Mr. Watson. I'm guessing he obtained my address from a neighborhood association list (which makes me wonder who provided it to him as well), but I know I never asked for emails from him. I was able to unsubscribe, but my personal email to Mr. Watson stating my unhappiness with his action went unanswered. Not encouraging from a potential elected official, so I crossed him off the list.

Greg Rasheed was a close third pick for me initially, but after further thought I had to move him up to a very close second. While he has said he clearly has concerns about Broken Windows, he seems to understand there is a real crime problem in the area. He makes a good case for investing in programs for youth in our community, to better recognize the many very bright and talented kids that otherwise seem to go unnoticed due to economics, race, and what school district they belong to. Though I don't have children, I have to admit at times it's tough in this neighborhood seeing how little praise, how little encouragement, and how little positive reinforcement and guidance children in Cole seem to get. I agree whole-heartedly that any long-term solution to the gang and youth crime problem needs to include positive, youth-targeted programs and activities.

I also get the feeling that despite Mr. Rasheed's steadfast belief in strengthening our communities through investment in and nurturing of our youth, he seems to understand, like I do, that youth programs and community programs alone won't fix the crime problem in District 8.

Interestingly, I was unable to learn much about his positions on some key topics as each time he spoke at the public forums, he ran out of time before he really got "warmed up" and to the meat and potatoes of his points. His website, too, was a little light on real information to me. But, to his credit, he seems to be infinitely available (which is refreshing, and hopefully would translate into similar approachability should he be elected), as evidenced by his prompt reply to this, and other blogs that have mentioned him in the days leading up to the elections. So you need to dig a little deeper to see where he stands on some things, but that information is out there.

A very big thumbs up for Mr. Rasheed's availability and responsiveness to nerdy bloggers like me--In doing my research, I don't think I found one blog dealing with this election where Mr. Rasheed hadn't taken the time to write a personal response (or several). And he certainly has been quick to respond to posts on Coleneighborhood.net. While he didn't end up being my pick, I am becoming more and more confident that Mr. Rasheed would be a fantastic selection by the voters.

Sharon Bailey looks good on paper, I guess, but once she opens her mouth I want to leave the room or change the channel. She goes on and on and on about how she's the most qualified candidate, how she did this, how she did that, etc. etc., blah blah blah. She's very proud of herself, in my opinion, too much so, and as such reminds me of Elbra Wedgeworth, who, no secret here, I despise for her lack of action and accountability in District 8. I'm concerned that Ms. Bailey similarly has some sort of personal agenda that she'll start to serve during her term if elected, at the expense of the district (a la Elbra).

Which brings us to Carla. Why do I like Carla? First, she isn't a great public speaker. I know what you're thinking: Why support someone because they didn't take the time or initiative to attend a Toastmasters class a couple times before running for public office? Well for me, while I wish for her own sake she was a bit more polished behind the microphone, I feel rock solid that what you see is what you get with Carla Madison--And that makes all the difference too me. I don't expect a city council member to be slick, or necessarily have all the answers--I'm more looking to someone with similar values and a sincere willingness to work with their constituency to make tangible change a reality in the district. (Incidentally, as my wife pointed out to me, and as I verified via Youtube, it seems Ms. Madison is beginning to find her voice behind the microphone, as her later speeches seem much better articulated--while still sounding very genuine--than her earlier ones).

She has also been the most visible candidate in Cole over the last few months--Attending neighborhood meetings (not just the one where all the candidates were present to give their sales pitch), Manual High School planning meetings, Cole-Whittier Against Crime Meetings, and other community events.

She supports Broken Windows; believes in "smart" redevelopment of historic neighborhoods like Cole, while maintaining the historical and architectural character; and she has a strong track-record of leadership at the neighborhood level as president and involved member of her City Park neighborhood association. So for me, she scores highly relative to my beliefs on safety and redevelopment, as well as education, and as such, she'll get my vote.

These are just my picks--I encourage everyone to spend a couple hours with Google and do their own homework and vote accordingly. Whomever you pick, VOTE! And the bottom line is realistically that any of the above candidates will be an improvement over Elbra Wedgeworth, who in my opinion checked out years ago.

I'm excited to see who the residents of District 8 pick--And even more excited to see what we can achieve in this district with a councilperson that is sincerely committed to positive change.

Thanks for reading.

9 comments:

unifics said...

Hi,

If you want to know my position on issues, just ask me.

Peace,

Greg Rasheed
District 8 City Council candidate

unifics said...

Hi,

The trouble with forums that they give you only a sound bite, not the total package. That's why I always tell voters to talk to all the candidates. I have been accessible to everyone who wants to talk. But unfortunately many people do not talk to candidates until after they get in office. And then it is too late, causing problems like you have had in the past in District 8. District 8 needs a candidate that seeks to meet with everyone on a regular basis. But you need to talk to the candidates to find that out.

Peace,

Greg Rasheed
District 8 City Council candidate

ColeMemoirs said...

Mr. Rasheed,

Thank you for your comments.

I have to admit I haven't fully expanded this post to where it should have been before publishing (I actually should have saved it and edited it prior to publishing, but I had no idea my updates would be picked up so quickly, let alone from one of our candidates).

I do in fact like a lot of what you have to say, and can't say I'd be disappointed if you came out on top. And as I've likely made (too) clear, I think any of the candidates, including you, would be a welcome change in District 8.

Good luck!

unifics said...

Hi,

Thank you for your comments. Maybe you should call this post a very rough draft.
Remember I respond to any questions, and I plan to do the same on City Council.

Peace,

Greg Rasheed
District 8 City Council

Anonymous said...

Hi,

As soon as I read today's blog, I sent Darrell a note to check it out.
It is funny criticism that he is almost too prepared for candidate's forums. I guess all I can say is that appearing less prepared would be really inauthentic in his case. He is a very knowledgable and well spoken guy.
As to communications and responsiveness, I know that nothing is more important to him than that, and he will make being available and approachable a centerpiece of his time serving our city. In fact he goes to great lengths to reach out to people.
I am sorry if it seemed to you that the campaign sent you both too much information and then not enough information. Striking the right balance is a hard task during such a compressed campaign, but I promise you my help in getting it right.
If you would like more contact from Darrell, just let me know at info@electwatson.com and I will personally keep a careful eye out for your message and make sure that Darrell has an opportunity to respond.
Alternatively, come down to the HOPE Communities forum tonight and introduce yourself. Catch Darrell in an unscripted moment and find out that he is just as intelligent and competent in person as when he is behind a podium.
The event begins at 6:30 pm at 2543 California and Darrell will stay around afterwards and be happy to personally answer all of your questions about the issues facing the District.

ColeMemoirs said...

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for reading, and for sharing your thoughts.

I have no doubt that Mr. Watson is a very articulate and sharp individual. However, as someone with a background in sales and public speaking, to me, Mr. Watson in his public appearances presents himself in a way that doesn't sit well with me--But that again is just my opinion.

I still find it disturbing that Mr. Watson (or perhaps his "camp") harvested my email address without my permission (illegal, by the way) for bulk-email purposes. If I had received an email explaining how I got on the list, and providing me the opportunity to opt in should I wish, that would have been another story.

It's also surprising to me that I got a response from the Watson camp (I'm assuming you're affiliated with him; if not, I guess a strong supporter) the same day as my post, yet I never received an acknowledgement to my email voicing my concerns over the unsolicited email. I sent that email several weeks ago. That's not encouraging responsiveness.

Finally, I'll say it again, while I support Carla Madison for City Council, I will be the first to congratulate Mr. Watson and wish him the best should he win the upcoming election.

A.B.E.--Anyone But Elbra.

Thanks again for reading.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. I'd agree, we're going to do much better with any of these guys or gals--But I'm leaning towards Watson or Madison too.

Carla For Council said...

Hi BigSprinter,
Excuse the lag time in response, I just heard about your support from a staff member. It's hard not to sound trite on paper but I am very touched by your words of support.

I do hope to be able to represent everyone in this District and to have availability be just the way that business is done. It's a tall order because the needs and desires are so varied but I will listen and weigh out all viewpoints.

As a long standing neighborhood president, who's association has gone through the waxing and waning of membership, I have a deep appreciation of anyone who steps forward and speaks out for what matters to them, whether it aligns with my view or not. I am not here with a personal agenda of my own.

My hope is to find the balance in the visions that the district holds and weigh that in with the overall vision for the city, budget, and all the other impediments and then make it happen. I am pragmatic, responsible to a fault and have as little ego as one can have and make it in this type of race.

I continually remind myself, yes, every time before I get up in public that it is not for me but for the district that I speak.

Thank you for your support.
Carla Madison

Candidate City Council District 8

p.s. I ride bikes too.
carlaforcouncil.org/thankyouCole

unifics said...

Hi,

Again, thank you for your kind words. And again, if you and any of this blog's readers want me to elaborate on an issue,just ask me.In the Bible it says, "Seek and ye shall find." Seek me out and I will respond. Write me at greg@rasheedforeight.com or call me at (720)4363417.

Peace,

Greg Rasheed
District 8 City Council candidate

PS I was on the Mayor's Bike Task Force for two years, so I guess I ride bikes too.