Thursday, August 03, 2006

Swain Burger and Barbecue: A Welcome Blast From The Past

I abandoned my current healthy-eating initiative for a good old-fashioned burger the other day. And, rather than go to one of the numerous corporate Mc-burger stands surrounding our neighborhood, I decided to get some local flavor (quite literally) instead.

Heading East on Bruce Randolph from our street, between York and Colorado Boulevard, I had noticed in the past a place called Swain Burger and Barbecue. Located on a quiet block and in a quaint house, it was very inviting, at least for a fan of roadside-cuisine like myself.

Walking in the door, I was instantly greeted by a nice younger lady behind the counter. Her smile was sincere, and quite a contrast from the blank stare I have grown accustomed to in fast-food drive throughs over the years.

My eyes instantly were drawn to their menu posted on the wall. Catfish, Ribs, Chicken, Whiting (which I learned was fish), and, lo and behold, "Swain Burgers", their signature item, which, as the hostess shared, had been made here since before she was born. I thought, how can I go wrong with one of those? So I ordered a Swain Burger with bacon and cheese combo. Parting with just over $7 for the meal, I realized again: This isn't McDonalds. But, I reassured myself, this was going to be made fresh! And I was supporting a local, independent business.

There is no dining area at Swain Burger, only a few chairs pushed up against the walls of the limited floorspace in front of the counter, where I sat to await my order. I soon noticed funky, Fat-Albert-ish paintings depicting urban, African-American neighborhoods adorning the walls. A young girl came in who the staff knew by name. She informed them she had only $2.00 to spend, at which point the woman behind the counter began listing off all the possibilities on the menu that would fit her budget. The young girl settled on Peach Cobbler A la mode.

A moment later, cobbler and ice cream in hand, she was on her way. "My Mom will probably be back later," she said, walking out the door. "Because I'm not sharing!"

A few minutes later I was presented with a brown-paper sack containing my burger and fries. My soda came in a medium-sized styrofoam cup with one of those coffee lids with the pull-top. No Biggie Size here, but my waistline didn't need it. My combo also came with a very warm and sincere "Thank you darlin', come and see us again!", which warmed my cheeks like a beautiful girl's kiss. This was definitely not McDonalds.

I felt like I had traveled back in time, back to the day of the independent corner store and burger stand, before the days of 7-Eleven and McDonalds. Back when providing a quality product at a reasonable price was enough. Back when inexpensive food still was prepared with tender loving care, and before it became discount-driven, homogenous and highly processed.

I drove my food a few blocks home so I could enjoy it at the back yard table. The burger was huge, and well garnished with a big slice of tomato, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, mayo, and, of course, thick slabs of cheese and bacon. The bun, devoid of sesame seeds, had a welcome sweetness to it. The fries, clearly fresh-cut and fried, were nothing short of fantastic.

This was not McDonald's--And I was thrilled! Good, simple food, from even better people. How can you go wrong?

I only hope that others in the neighborhood catch on to their offerings so they don't disappear. In this day of corporate, cost-driven fast food, I can't imagine it's easy to profitably run an old-fashioned, independent burger and barbecue joint.

Give 'em a try next time you're in the neighborhood! I'll be there as much as my diet allows!

1 comment:

ColeMemoirs said...

Thanks for reading Glen. I appreciate your kind words and am glad to hear that you've found my modest chronicle of Cole valuable. I'll try my best to add updates as much as possible when their are issues residents should be aware of.