Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th Of July From Cole Neighborhood, Denver

Greetings from Cole Neighborhood, Denver Colorado on a simply splendid Colorado summer evening.

I'm writing again from our front porch, this time bombarded with the staccato sound and flashes of amateur pyrotechnics. Both my dogs, each of which are unabashed fans of the grass in our yard, have deemed the evening too noisy (or perhaps too perilous) and have since retired to the leather sofa and living room rug. While I am certainly enjoying the fresh air time will tell whether I should have listened to my dogs' judgement and retreated to the safety of our modest victorian.

While uneventful, the holiday was a pleasant one for me I guess. I enjoyed a 45 mile bike ride from my front door to the top of Lookout Mountain in Golden and back; had a tasty lunch with my beautiful, exceptional and largely undeserved wife at Kiva Restaurant, vegged out in front of my newly-installed digital cable (only installed for Le Tour de France), attended a barbecue at a friend in nearby Park Hill, and then enjoyed a sunset walk around the Cole and Whittier neighborhoods with my two dogs. My wife having to work tonight prevented it from being a perfect night.


Big news: It wasn't freakishly hot here today. HOORAY! It's too early to be this hot in Denver, that's for sure--But not only was I able to enjoy a cool, sunny, beautiful morning on the bike up in Golden, upon my return to metro D-town, I was shocked at how mild it was. Not pleasant at 4pm, mind you, unless you found some shade, but better than what we had become accustomed to lately.

And better yet, the afternoon storm clouds that consistently build over the west side of town in the summer, yet that have as of late been yielding no moisture, busted loose (relatively speaking) with some moisture soon after sunset tonight. Which means it's simply idyllic tonight.

Except for all the freakin' fireworks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't the cops crack down more on illegal fireworks? It does feel like a shooting gallery around here during the summer months (no pun intended)

ColeMemoirs said...

Thanks for reading and great question Coloski.

I'm guessing that they're just applying their resources to the most pressing problem. Until kids blowing their hands (or innocent bystanders' faces) off with fireworks supplants gang shootings as the number one hazard in Cole/Whittier I'm guessing they won't consistently enforce the Denver city ban on fireworks.

Honestly, it was the same over in Highlands when we lived there. I remember one year there was a haze hanging over Zuni Street on the 4th due to all the fireworks... two years later it was Yuppieville with no fireworks or smoke... I guess gentrification and displacement has its benefits. I'm sure I'll take some heat for that comment!