Thursday, April 23, 2009

Kiva's new theme: Urban Blight

So I shared that I had heard that Kiva would be re-opening at some point. Not much visible activity on that front until recently when I saw that there was a notice of zoning change on the building--Basically being re-zoned to allow for mixed residential and commercial I think. Makes sense, given how cavernous the building is. I just hope something opens up there again relatively soon.

But the big thing is the new paint job--Anyone notice that they tore down the cheery yellow awnings and re-painted the building...Uggh... Primer gray?

Nothing screams "Urban Blight" more than a huge building painted industrial, primer gray. Especially with an equally dismal gray building right across the street. Every time I pass by now I have to remind myself I'm not living in Flint, Michigan.

Maybe that's his new theme for the restaurant space--Urban blight. Maybe they'll hire some yuppy white artists to replicate some local graffiti on the building, park some extra dumpsters outside, and chain a few cannibalized old bike frames to the light poles. Hang some sneakers from the power lines and hire some actors to portray homeless people and sleep out front during the grand opening. Stick some of those fake-bullet-hole stickers on the front door to complete the look.

Maybe a soup kitchen theme? Tuesdays ladies drink (soup) free. That could become hip and trendy with the incoming Starbucks posse.

Perhaps it is in fact just a primer? I'm afraid it isn't, so I'm left wondering what Marty, the owner was thinking? Of all the colors in the rainbow, why did he choose battleship, primer gray?

3 comments:

ColeMemoirs said...

Update: Looks like they have a plan, and it might be a decent one. The "Kiva patio" side is now painted a nice navy blue, with some interesting black trim accenting the majority of the building still in gray. Glad to see new activity and some thought being put into the scheme... Way to go, Marty. Look forward to seeing what else you've got up your sleeve.

Anonymous said...

Update: It'll be an extension of the EXDO event center...no restaurant. Bummer.

ColeMemoirs said...

Thanks for reading and posting. Yes, I saw the Exdo sign a few weeks ago. End of an era. While I was a bit perplexed and negative about how Marty ran Kiva, I really hoped he would get things together. It is such a cool building with so much history. We kept spending our money at Kiva because we wanted them to figure things out and become viable, but they were likely hemorraging money from day one until when they closed their doors. Sorry to see them go.