Saturday, February 24, 2007

Another Neighborhood Gem: M&D's Barbeque Cafe


I finally stopped into a local eatery that I had been eyeing since we moved into the neighborhood: M&D's Barbeque Cafe. Located on the southeast corner of 28th and Race (I think it's actually Whittier Neighborhood, or maybe City Park West I guess) in a clean, inviting brick building, M&D's is an ironic gem in the midst of the neighborhood's regenesis.


I say ironic, because each time I passed by the place on my bike or walking the dogs, the beautiful building shined like a beacon on an otherwise yet-to-be-renovated block. So much so that I thought it had to be a new business, banking on what the neighborhood was going to become (like us).


Needless to say I was quite surprised to find out that M&D's is actually a veteran of the neighborhood, residing at this very location since they originally opened their doors in 1977. According to the hostess, they renovated in 2003 (and it shows). Their building is so nice, so clean, it almost doesn't do the home-made cooking served within justice, as it wouldn't look out-of-place next to a Chipotle or Starbucks somewhere in suburban hell.


Anyway, I stopped in there the other day for lunch. I have to tell you, don't even go there if you're trying to diet, as a mouth-watering aroma of barbecue sauces greeted me at the door, and at that moment, I knew I was going to have to take in the whole experience (not just a measly salad or something!).


The place was very warm and friendly--A nice, eclectic mix of people that usually bodes well for the food quality--Good eats are a pretty universal language. The hostess greeted us promptly and with a smile, and quickly led us to a half-booth near the back of the dining room. Our server was similarly efficient and friendly in greeting us. We started off with some catfish nuggets for an appetizer, with barbecue sauce to dip. Being quite the chile-head, I ordered the hot barbecue sauce, my friend Christian, who finds Hunts ketchup on the spicier side of things, threw caution into the wind and ordered the medium. I tried them both before settling on the medium myself--While the hot was admirably so, the medium had more depth to the flavor and a sweetness that was familiar to my barbecue experience.


They have everything on the menu from your normal barbecue chicken, ribs, briscuit, catfish, even whiting, but it all sounded good to us. Christian settled on the briscuit sandwich, I had the smoked and marinated barbecue burger, and our late-arriving friend had the catfish plate.


The food turned out to be on par with the friendly service. Christian's briscuit sandwich was "like candy" he said; my smoked burger was unlike anything else I had ever had (and in a good way!); and our other friend seemed content with his catfish as he ate about half of the huge plate.


We were in a hurry, so we didn't take advantage of the extensive, and very tasty selection of home-made desserts they had on the menu. That will have to wait until next time.


So, if you're looking for some tasty southern cooking, some take-out barbecue or even catering for an event, give M&D's Barbecue Cafe a try. I think you'll be glad you did. And of course, you'll be investing in the success of the neighborhood.


Oh, and be sure to tell them you learned about them from The Cole Neighborhood Memoirs.


Thanks for reading.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

M&D's is good stuff. Your post made me think that I'm overdue for some of their delicious briscuit.

And you're right... it's great to support a locally-owned business in the neighborhood!

Anonymous said...

M & D's is by far the best BBQ in town. Incredible sauces and sides. I have to say, I admire your bravery walking your dog around there though. Not a real savory neighborhood. Well worth seeking out the restaurant though. Incredible.

ColeMemoirs said...

Thanks for reading.

From the 'burbs, eh?

What is "not savory" about the neighborhood? Find poverty a bit unsettling do you? Or are there just too many blacks and Hispanics for your liking? :)

Not trying to be argumentative--Just curious, as it is always fascinating to me how relative feeling safe is to folks from different parts of the city, state and country.

Don't get me wrong, there are some occasional gang bangers around, but that's true pretty much anywhere in the city. In general most residents are law abiding, if albeit a bit rough around the edges. We feel completely safe around here, as safe as we did living in "better" neighborhoods. And statistically Cole and Whittier are pretty safe places to live.

This is an old post for me--Since I wrote this I've soured a bit on M&D's. The prices are far too high for what you get, the service uneven, and I have to admit I haven't felt so well the last couple of times I've eaten there.

But I'm still glad we have 'em in the neighborhood. Long live local restaurants!

Thanks again for reading.

Anonymous said...

Somebody offering me drugs outside the door qualifies as not savory. Not a knock against the restaurant, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you're not in the best part of town there. Just a fact of life. Would never stop me from going.

Anonymous said...

I also have to wonder about your comment about prices "way too high". 5 huge ribs, 2 incredible sides, and 4 slices of bread for $12.95 is way too high?? Sorry. I don't get that. I have to wonder where you can beat a deal like that.

ColeMemoirs said...

$10 sandwiches with no sides... $12-15 for a basic meal on plastic tableware... charging extra for barbecue sauce... Two combos to go setting you back almost $25. Barbecue is like Mexican food, it's supposed to be cheap as it's classic, blue-collar Americana. M&D's is nowhere near cheap eats.

Propositioned to buy drugs, eh? Lived here three plus years and have never been propositioned to buy drugs. Were you sending "buy" signals? :)

And don't look now, but there is a kid selling meth right now in "savory" Littleton...

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this! My husband and I are relatively new to the neighborhood...moved in 5 months ago. We used to live in the ballpark neighborhood and are craving local places to stop in for coffee, drinks, food, etc. Its nice to know they are around. Let's hope they keep moving in :)

ColeMemoirs said...

M&D's is good. Blake Street Tavern, which I'm sure you're familiar with, is another mainstay. Highly recommend the Walnut Room, which I'll be posting on soon. Great sandwiches and pizza, and a killer $5 lunch special. Also the taco stand at the Down-And-Out is really good. Phil's place has great breakfast burritos. Have you checked out the new hotdog place Billy's?