Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bicycle Racing Coming to North Denver: The Curtis Park Criterium

To my delight both as a North Denver resident and competitive cyclist, I learned this week that the American Cycling Association will be promoting a Curtis Park Criterium on May 28th (Memorial Day) 2007.

To fill the void on the racing calendar left when the Rocky Mountain Cycling Omnium moved to later in the racing season, ACA Representative and long-time Colorado racing advocate Beth Wrenn-Estes stepped in to promote this exciting new race.

But what does this mean to non-cyclists, and in particular, Curtis Park, Five Points and Cole Neighborhood residents? First, it is exciting that so many neighborhood kids and families will be exposed to bike racing... right in Curtis Park! Not only that, but the promoters are looking for a way to provide free bike helmets (to keep) for at-need children that participate in the kids races!

It also means a tremendous influx of people (likely 4-600 total) to our redeveloping neighborhoods who normally wouldn't be exposed to all we have to offer right in Denver's backyard. And while I'm clearly biased towards the cycling community, your average cyclist tends to be affluent, well-educated, and committed to a healthy and environmentally-friendly lifestyle--In other words, just the kind of neighbors we need more of in North Denver. And as such, it's an incredible opportunity for positive exposure for our respective neighborhoods.

For years there has been a race in the Golden Triangle (The Bannock Street Criterium), and from what I've heard, many residents and neighborhood advocates felt it was a tremendous asset in showing the rest of Colorado the progress that neighborhood had made during that time. While on a much grander scale, the long-running Philadelphia International Championship (formerly the Corestates U.S. Pro Championship) also played an integral part of the Manayunk neighborhood's rebirth.

Am I dreaming, or over-estimating the effect an amateur bike race could have on our area? Probably, but nothing would please me more than to see this race become a fixture on the Colorado racing calendar, and an annual showcase for North Denver's regenesis.

I've committed to assisting Ms. Wrenn-Estes and the ACA with this event, and welcome any other local residents or businesses that share my excitement to become similarly involved. If this is you, please post a comment and let me know how to reach you, or contact Ms. Wrenn-Estes directly.

I'll have more information on the race, and potential volunteer and sponsorship opportunities soon, so stay tuned.

And as always, thanks for reading, and caring about North Denver neighborhoods like Cole.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, so now you’re too cowardly to let commenters express freedom of speech?

So much so, that you would delete a whole entire post to stop your readers from viewing a perfectly friendly comment left by me?

Seeing as I didn’t say anything above a PG rating, I can only guess that you just didn’t like what I had to say.

What guts you have! But please allow me to repeat:

You came to my blog, lambasting the hooooorible gentrifying neighborhood you live in, only to point me to this very diluted “cole neighborhood” blog where you expand on said horrors by talking about public urination and barbeque.

But there’s a problem. It’s 42nd in crime. Not 1st, not 2nd, not even 34th.

I always get a chuckle at you privileged pseudo-intellectuals you find such novelty in “ethnic” neighborhoods.

How do you do it, Paul? How do you shoulder such a responsibility as cleaning up a neighborhood completely devoid of lofts and high rise condos? The modern white man’s burden, huh?

Of course you like gentrification, because you can afford it. Those who can’t would rather take crime over being homeless any day. It doesn’t take a genius to figure. I’d think such a smart and “highly educated” bicycler might be able to get it. I guess not.

The truth hurts, doesn’t it?

ColeMemoirs said...

Hi Erin,

Please review my blog again. As it shows, I mistakenly deleted your comments with one of my own posts, but wouldn't miss the opportunity to share with the world your argumentative and rude nature. You must have quite the vendetta against me now, as you rushed to the conclusion that it was some act of censorship on my part. Grow up!

The word "cowardly" isn't even in my vocabulary. Especially when dealing with narrow-minded, rude, prejudiced individuals like yourself.

My blog clearly isn't intended to try to sway the POV of individuals like you, as it's clear you'll always be the victim.

My blog is a work in progress, designed to offer prospective residents a glimpse at the good and the bad of Cole. Sorry you think it's "diluted". I must not be whining and complaining enough to make it worthwhile to you.

Again, forgive me for having the audacity for standing up for the police department that has thus far been an important ally for my wife and my safety; and for making you feel like it was essential to prove to me how much more dangerous your neighborhood is than mine.

Please don't contact me again, as negativity like yours is best kept to yourself.

Anonymous said...

Uh, too late. See post above. :)

Anonymous said...

Wasn't this a post about bike racing? What's up with EMROSA? What does this have to do with anything?