Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Another new resident in Cole

What a great day yesterday.

There has been an amazing little kitten hanging around our block the last couple weeks. She's tiny--Likely 3 or 4 pounds, black and white, and the kind of coloration that we non-creative humans often name things like "socks" or "boots". She is also incredibly sweet and friendly, approaching pretty much any person that comes by.

Well, as my wife will tell you, I'm one off those weird "animal people" that would take in almost any animal rather than turn it away knowing it will likely get euthanized. However, "there's no room at the inn" at this point as we've already got our hands full with two dogs and two cats, so we knew we couldn't keep her, no matter how fast we were becoming attached to her.

But some things have a way of working themselves out I guess. No sooner had I started asking neighbors if they knew anyone that wanted a cat, my friend from across the street said he'd take the kitten. As soon as I handed the kitten to him, I knew it was a good thing. He's a bit of a lonely older guy, not in the best of health anymore, but incredibly friendly and kind hearted. And his mother, bedridden, lives with him, and likely could use a little company like only a good cat can provide. I can't help but think that Marion, as I named her (he's going to call her Midnight), will make as much difference in their lives as they will in hers.

2 comments:

ColeMemoirs said...

The kitten has already become a cat! Amazing what two or three square meals will do for a stray.

Even better, the cat has become my neighbor's shadow--She has truly found a home. Not a day goes by without me seeing the cat playfully prancing down the sidewalk after him, or simply frolicking in their front yard chasing a moth or fly. I don't know who is happier about the relationship--The cat, my neighbor, or me.

ColeMemoirs said...

Came across this old post and had to update it with bad news.

A few months ago some of the crack-heads in the neighborhood, to get back at my neighbor (they were having some argument), poured gasoline on the cat and lit him on fire.

Police tried to find out who did it, but my neighbor wouldn't even talk to them, as loyalty to these "friends" is apparently stronger than doing the right thing.

What kind of person would light a cat on fire? Not the "harmless drunks" that so many libertarians make these criminals out to be.