Friday, March 26, 2010

Welcome to Cole: Jezebel's Juke Joint and Brothel

So there I was tonight at the dog park, braving mud and sleet and snow to get my dog a little activity, and I learned from a friend that there was a new blues bar in Cole. Nope, no kidding--A  Blues Bar!

So I rushed right over to the former Marco's place at 39th and High Street, to find Jezebel's Juke Joint and Brothel.

I almost fell out of my car I was so stunned. I rushed inside, soaking wet and muddy, to get a glimpse. I was greeted warmly by a man and woman (the owners, I'm guessing) and a cute little pit puppy named Diesel. The place is really cool inside--Very authentic, old, and inviting.

This place is very promising. Great happy hour from 4-7 M-F, and live music! In Cole! And not Salsa!

I had to leave without having a drink, but I'll be back tomorrow night for their live music.

Colians, let's get out there and support these folks. At least at first glance, they look like a very cool addition to the neighborhood.

9 comments:

ahren said...

this rules.
thanks for the head's up!
wifey and i will be checking this place out asap.

ColeMemoirs said...

We went in there last night. Christian is the GM, and is very nice and makes a decent dirty martini. Very cool atmosphere, even just to have drinks and listen to the jukebox. Going in again tonight for some live music! I'm so thrilled that this business went in. I hope they make it, as it's an ambitious business in the exact opposite corner of Cole from downtown.

ahren said...

agreed. if it's as good as it looks, we'll be in at least once/week. we are also going tonight to check out ajax.

ColeMemoirs said...

Supposedly, they're going to feature a patio and perhaps volleyball pit this summer:

http://www.westword.com/2010-02-11/music/does-jezebel-s-have-a-ghost-of-a-chance/

Anonymous said...

News: http://jezebelsbrothel.com/default.aspx

Check out the message on their front page.

DAMN. DAMN. DAMN. I am so bummed about this.

Now we get "The Son" again...and lots of bad beer.

-Meghan

Anonymous said...

whoops...just saw your tweet. Late to the party, I am.

Anonymous said...

I know, bummer. so you wyou went in there when it was marcos? Was it as bad as they are making it out to have been?

Anonymous said...

Yes. Marco's was no picnic, lemme tell you. I wouldn't go in there as a single woman, that's for sure...maybe if I was dying for a Bud Light, which would mean I was REALLY dying. I won't share all of the monikers attached to Marco's here as they are, at base, pretty derogatory, but suffice it to say some expensive white stuff was run through that joint for a looooong time. Such a loss for the neighborhood (though my experience(s) at jezebel's weren't as good as when it was the High Street Speakeasy, to be honest. The bartender was terribly rude to a friend of mine). Plus, Jezebel's beer selection was the pits. I mean, c'mon! This is Colorado, the napa valley of beer! Don't -make- me drink Shock Top. : ) Isn't there an angel investor in Cole who will back a watering hole for us thirsty, willing patrons? -msh

ColeMemoirs said...

Thanks MSH.

Oh, in retrospect my optimism for Jezebel's was naive. Compared to Jezebel's, Kiva ran their business like a well-oiled machine. The location, the lack of a kitchen, the poor beer selection, and questionable service all in retrospect likely doomed their future. I sat down several times with Kate and tried to ask her direct questions about her marketing and business plan, and it was clear that she didn't. It was so nice to walk to a decent pub in Cole, though.

Oh, and Bubba Chino's just went under (though no big loss there).