Saturday, October 06, 2007

The tipping point?

Driving home the other night my wife and I passed a new art gallery over on Walnut Street, in a formerly abandoned and typically sketchy block. The house with tons of potential across the street has gotten some steady traffic, as has the home in foreclosure next door. Two historic-yet-neglected homes nearby have the huge, drive-up dumpsters in front of them, signifying a complete remodel (or "gutting"). Kiva Restaurant on 30th and Downing, while they're certainly not out of the woods yet, is hanging in there and seems to be getting at least marginally busier each time we visit.

Residents that were here before us seem to be taking a bit more pride in their homes, and the trash problem on our block is a fraction of what it was two years ago.

Two white guys drove by today in a BMW M3 Coupe and waived at me as I was chilling on the front porch--Not sure what to gather from that as I didn't know them...

Things seem to be changing FAST lately in Cole. Whether you think the change is positive or not, have we reached a tipping point?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, come on, how is that not a good thing? I welcome any sort of redevelopment on my block, which sounds like it's a few years behind yours. Where do you live? Forget the bleeding heart liberals that would say that improving a neighborhood is a bad thing. Especially Cole, Whittier, and Five Points, talk about some historic neighborhoods that need some help that only will come from new capital being re-invested in the area. And like you say, White, Black, Hispanic, who flipping cares, as long as they make the neighborhood a better place, rather than continuing the long history of decay and neglect that our area is famous for.

Don't tell me you're being brainwashed by the Libs...

ColeMemoirs said...

Thanks Steve for reading, how did you see my post so quickly?

I also welcome this progress, but have come to see both sides of the equation. Gentrification is real, though I would argue not as prevalent or crippling as some would argue. I do feel quite strongly, however, that Cole, Whittier, and surrounding areas are changing for the better, and it's long overdue. Even the poor deserve to live in safe, clean neighbrohods.

The issue of quality schools in the area seems still to be a problem, though. While I have no kids, I see this as the next big issue to be dealt with. Though I have a suspicion that once the neighborhood gets redeveloped and "turns" even more, the influx of more affluent residents will make the re-establishment of good schools in the area a more immediate priority. It's a shame that's what it will take, but I think that's a fact; and that we all will profit from it once it happens.

Thanks again for reading and for speaking your mind. In my opinion, we just need more people that care about the neighborhoods here... No matter where they fall on the issues...

Anonymous said...

You live right by me.

Unknown said...

Hey, whittier_steve, I *am* a liberal, and still I welcome the gentrification of Cole. Sure, I regret pushing out the low-cost renters but the fact is that low-cost rentals tend to fall into neglect, and encourage crime. And these homes are too historic and beautiful for that.

I can agree that as long as the neighborhood is made a better place, that's the goal. Besides, in my business, it becomes rapidly clear that "minorities" aren't necessarily poor; blacks and Hispanics are known to have huge buying power. Take the guy who just bought the house next door - Hispanic, and with enough capital to invest apparently thousands of dollars into re-hab. That house will sell for at least a quarter of a million.

Unknown said...

About schools - My first-grader is in Wyatt-Edison, and I couldn't be more pleased with the school and the teacher. And I have high standards.

I know that their test scores are low, but that is apparently due to the high percentage of Hispanic students for whom English is a second language.

My boy seems to be learning "better" than he did last year in Lenski (A Blue Ribbon School) in Littleton.

ColeMemoirs said...

Wyatt Edison is a beautiful example of what is possible with inner-city schools. I don't have kids but am so thankful we have that facility in the area.