Saturday, March 03, 2007

What we're up against

I mistakenly deleted one of my posts, but didn't want to pass up the opportunity to share some comments made by a fellow "blogger" named Erin Rosa, who in my opinion epitomizes the negative, counterproductive and downright argumentative attitude that many residents unfortunately project towards newer, white residents like my wife and me. While in my book, we're responsible, engaged homeowners, we're portrayed as villains:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"With all of your inane bragging in response to one of my old blog posts, I somehow got the impression that you actually lived in a bad neighborhood. But Cole? Give me a break. Five points, sure. But not Cole. 42nd? Try 1st or 2nd. In fact, try keeping a shotgun in your closet (knowing full well that the police wouldn't respond to your calls anyway) just in case a crackhead tries to break down your door again. That scenario is certainly real. (Not I. But if it was, would I win anything?!?)What a hard life you must live. It's hilarious. I always get a chuckle at the privileged pseudo-intellectuals who find novelty in their new ethnic surroundings. How do you do it? How do you shoulder such a responsibility as cleaning up such a hoooorible place without condos and lofts? The modern white man's burden, huh?Of course you like gentrification, because you can afford it. Those who can't would gladly take some crime over being homeless anyday. It doesn't take a genius to figure. Good luck on the whole broken windows thing too. I hear it's done wonders for the people living in Capitol Hill. And by wonders I mean pushing the crack dealers and prostitutes a few blocks East."

YAL (Erin Rosa)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Erin for sharing your infinite wisdom on neighborhoods with me. Funny how defensive some people get when someone doesn't share their opinion? I simply voiced my support for the Denver Police Department and their efforts in our neighborhood, heaven forbid. I forgot that we're all supposed to hate the police, and to maintain our roles as "victims".

Apparently my neighborhood isn't as bad as I thought--I guess it has been almost three weeks since someone got shot (that I know of). Ms. Rosa, you turned a simple exchange of differing opinions into some sort of contest over whose neighborhood is worse. Interesting!

And then you attack me as a "pseudo intellectual" shouldering the "modern white man's burden" (Why play the race card? Because it's the easy way out for narrow-minded individuals, that's why. And I won't even go down the road about how you think it's OK to talk about my race, when I know you'd be quick to cry bloody murder if I were to have made anywhere near the statements you did except about African Americans or Hispanics). And where do lofts come in? Are you stereotyping that white people like lofts or something? Umm, I own a house. Isn't that almost like racial profiling? Oh, and in your other post, is that some sort of jab at me being a cyclist? So you hate cyclists too? Why so much hostility Erin?

I'm sorry you shoulder so much distrust towards the police department, and against white people, and against cyclists, that you fall into the same trap of generalization and prejudice that you claim the DPD is notorious for, and that you insinuate I possess. You don't even know me, but you're sure quick to judge.

You jump to the conclusion that I'm affluent, when in reality my wife and I work extremely hard for our modest home in this neighborhood, and in all reality likely aren't much better off financially than the folks people like you are afraid are going to be displaced. You don't know to what extent I'm involved in our neighborhood--With the neighborhood association, in helping the residents and kids on my block--But with an attitude like you have, I really don't give a rat's ass what you think anyway.

Because I'm used to it. I've learned that "white people like me" aren't supposed to buy old houses in historically minority populated neighborhoods. We're not supposed to clean up the trash, we're not supposed to get involved in the community, and we're certainly not supposed to speak our minds about crime. But sorry, we're here, we're improving the neighborhood, and we're not going anywhere, so deal with it.

It's attitudes like yours that stand in the way of true progress in neighborhoods like ours. Because it's not about race, it's about the universal right to have a good, safe quality of life in your own neighborhood and home. I don't care what nationality or race my neighbors are, as long as they call the police when they witness crime, keep their home nice, and treat me with the same respect I extend to them.

Oh, and I encourage you to do some reading on gentrification and displacement--As there is plenty of evidence out there that the process of gentrification doesn't necessarily lead to widespread displacement, and on the contrary, often enhances the quality of life and stability of lower income individuals and families. Here, for example.

Well, that's if from this "pseudo intellectual".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that’s right Paul. I just hate the Denver police, and white people, and bicycles!

Please continue to tell me what I hate and what I don’t, as I don’t recall saying anything resembling the former.

You’ll have to excuse my previous comment, as I thought you had purposely deleted a post just to skirt me. Glad to see that isn’t the case.

You speak as a white man finding faults in an “ethnic” neighborhood which has existed for a number of years. You talk about faux progress through gentrification. It’s your own personal burden of making things better. More affluent and loft friendly. Hence the usage of my very own words.

Only a person like yourself could call someone who acknowledges realistic aspects of class and race in an argument racist.

The truth is Paul, you don’t want a dialogue with members in your community.
Your own blog posts even show that sentiment.

Keep in mind, I’m only judging you based on the inane comment you left on my blog and your own blog posts here. And they sure say a lot.

It’s not a crime to want a nice place to live, but if you accomplish that buy making such a place only affordable to people like yourself, well, I can’t think of anything more exclusionist.

And if it’s my attitude that truly stands in the way of your demented version of “progress” I’m happy to adhere to it. It’s funny enough to see you whining about it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and my very own tag! I truly am flattered. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what did you do to tick this person off? What a nut.

Anonymous said...

Don't let this pugnacious, holier-than-thou know-it-all bother you. I've dealt with her many times and as you suggest she is quick to point the finger at anyone but her own "people" or herself.

She's the type that would rather have your neighborhood remain in decay and infefsted with crime rather than see a white face move onto her block. And you're 100% correct that she's as rascist as the whites she has such a chip on her shoulder about.

Glad to see she gave up on harassing you and you have kept writing.

ColeMemoirs said...

Thanks for the comment Urbano. I'm glad Emrosa has moved on to being negative somewhere else, too. It's clear to me that we need old-timers like EMRosa as little as we need more lofts in Denver. She, and people like her are just counter productive, divisive, and in all reality not contributing one bit to Denver's progress.

Stereotyping all white people as affluent, gentrification-happy loft-dwellers is not just racist, it's stupid. But it's clear she's less interested in reality as she is drama. Thanks for reading.