Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm baaaaack...

After a six month hiatus, the Cole Neighborhood Memoirs is back.It's 11PM and I type as this speak as yet another crack head leaves the house across the street from mine.I took this blog down a few months ago because I grew tired of the constant criticisms from civil libertarians, whiners, and others that in my opinion take things far too seriously, portraying me and my views as narrow minded, racist, and overly negative about my Denver block and the Cole neighborhood in general.What I didn't anticipate was the word-of-mouth feedback that I have since responded and made it clear that I had more of an audience than I thought--And that I'm not the only one that simultaneously sees beauty, tragedy, potential, and humour in being a white resident in a largely black and hispanic, gentrifying neighborhood in urban Denver.Let's get some things straight for starters--I'm white and a college graduate (though I use that term loosely, since I hold a "degree" in liberal arts, which doesn't guarantee me any job but one at Starbucks or doing door-to-door sales for the local cable company) and I don't claim to have all the answers. I don't know what it's like to be a black or a hispanic in today's United States of America. I believe that while racial profiling and discrimination still exists today in Denver's police department (and elsewhere), I firmly believe that most of our police officers try to do their best in a very difficult job and an equally complex political environment. So if you're one of those folks that thinks that the Denver Police Department as a whole is a racist organization, don't bother posting comments, and move on to another site--You and I will never see eye-to-eye.I also see the future of Cole as one of cultural and economic diversity--That means we need more affluent residents to take an interest in and invest in Cole to make it a safer, more vibrant neighborhood.What is the purpose of this blog? Quite simply, to portray what living in this neighborhood is like for a resident of my "demographic". In the previous iteration of this site I admittedly found myself pandering hopelessly to those of opposing viewpoints--I didn't know whether I should speak my mind, convey current events in the neighborhood, or simply say what the "masses" thought should be said.No more. I'm happy to say that the Cole Neighborhood Association has enjoyed a regenesis of late, and as such, if you just want to become involved in the neighborhood, or learn what is new here, you have another source of information. What you'll read here is just my two cents, right or wrong. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, often useless, but it will always reflect what I see as the most accurate portrayal of life here from the eyes of a white guy from rural Michigan.Will I say some controversial things? Guaranteed I will. Don't like it? You don't have to read it. Have a comment? By all means share it, I may learn something from you. But if you're just out to be negative, or to flame me for having an opinion, don't bother.Like my point-of-view or not, I am invested in and committed to this neighborhood, and ensuring its progress. For those like me, and for those unlike me, but that are responsible and similarly committed to making it a great place to live (more on that later).Thanks in advance for reading.

No comments: