Friday, February 26, 2010

How do more people in this neighborhood not get hit by cars?

It should be happening every single day the way people act over here.

Between the old-timer drunks that see you coming and dare you to hit them by walking right out in front of you, to the kids that carelessly just run into the street, it's like a game of Frogger around here most days.

Just today, I almost hit some kid as he ran right out in front of my bike as I rode by his house on Franklin. If I hadn't been paying attention, it would have been ugly for both of us. I shouted to the kid "You've gotta be careful, or you're going to get hit, buddy!". I then heard a voice from a front porch on the east side of the road a few houses up: "No he won't, I'm watching him from over here." I was flabbergasted. "Did you see me almost run over your boy on my bike?"

Her response? "F*ck you!"

No doubt the kid has a bright future in fast food (or jail) with parenting like that. (Assuming he doesn't get flattened by an El Camino before he turns 14.)

1 comment:

Aurora Sisneros said...

Bah ha ha! I almost hit a kid on a bike who shot out of an alley and onto Franklin street, and I made sure to make a majorly dramatic "OH MY GOD" yell, HAMMER on the horn, and SKID to a stop. Then I rolled down the window and said "Oh my God, I almost KILLED you!" That kid was shaking his poor face off. BUT, my drama skills will make him think twice next time! OK, prolly not. ;)